All of us know that drinking water is very important for our health. But how much water should you drink on a daily basis to keep your body hydrated and have full health benefits?
Because our body is composed of about 70% water, signs of dehydration can be quite frequent such as headache, fatigue, excess body fat, poor muscle tone, digestive problems, joint and muscle soreness, and surprisingly water retention.
But don’t worry, that is easy to turn around. All you need to do is to drink the recommended daily intake of 1.5L to 2L of water – coconut water, herbal tea and juices can be included as well to achieve that.
Water Health Benefits
1. Digestion and Bowel movement – water helps to dissolve fats and soluble fibers. Also, drinking plenty of water helps to prevent constipation and reduces heartburn.
2. Muscle & Joint soreness – keeping the body well hydrated helps to prevent muscle pain and lubricate the joints
3. Headaches – dehydration can trigger headache as it increases the amount of toxins in the body.
4. Fatigue – water helps to improve energy levels by supporting the metabolism
5. Slow aging process & Healthy skin – water helps to moisturises the skin
6. Detoxification – water helps the kidneys and liver to eliminate waste products from the body.
7. Circulation & Body temperature – water is a big part of the blood composition. And then, to avoid the blood to get thicker and cause health issues we need to keep well hydrated to improve blood flow..
8. Weight control – water helps to improve metabolism and can decrease appetite as thirst can be misinterpreted by the feeling of hunger.
9. Hangover – is caused by drinking alcohol which leads to dehydration. Drinking a glass of water after every alcoholic drink may sound crazy but it will soothe the symptoms of hangover, also the day after drinking plenty of water is a must.
10. Alertness – dehydration can promote low attention spam, memory, and motor skills.
Keep in mind that drinks high in caffeine (e.g. coffee, black tea, energetic drinks) are dehydrating and for each glass you drink you need to increase a glass of water on the daily intake (eg. for each 2 glasses of black tea or coffee you drink you will need to drink 1.5L-2L plus 2 glasses of water).
Tip to increase water intake
- Have a glass of water first thing in morning and before bedtime
- Have a bottle of water on your desk and bag at all times
- Download an app to help you to control your water intake
Did you know that the human body can survive without food for over 3 weeks; but only 3 to 5 days without water?